One of the things that my friends and I like doing on Friday afternoon’s is to have picnics. University can get very stressful so what better way to relax than to have good food with great company. Here is my guide to having the perfect picnic:
- Great weather: Make sure that it is a sunny afternoon. Imagine get sun-kissed by the sun while the clouds go by in a tranquil blue sky. Of course having a slight breeze to cool you off wouldn’t be too bad. A sunny afternoon wouldn’t be complete without your shades making an appearance 🙂
- Awesome company: A picnic is never complete without awesome company.Great conversation with people who understand you, and challenge you to think outside the box is a must.
- Delicious food: When it comes to food you can go all out. It is up to you to decide what you want to bring. Your options are unlimited from junk food to healthy food or a combination of the two. You can even include food that has sentimental value to you or that you associate with good memories.
- A picnic playlist: A playlist is a must.Music helps you set the mood that you are going for. It also helps you relax and just enjoy the moment.
Processed with VSCO with c1 preset
Processed with VSCO with c1 preset
Processed with VSCO with c1 preset
Processed with VSCO with c1 preset
In life you meet awesome people who change your life for the better. People who just blow your mind with their outlook on life, their generosity and the lengths that they are willing to go for you. I have been privileged to have met people like that. People who have changed my life for the better, and challenged me to come out of my comfort zone. I literally don’t know how many times I thank God for those people.
Unfortunately the last couple of months have been challenging.A lot has been happening to the people who I love,and care about it. It literally breaks my heart when I have to watch someone who I care about go through a difficult time. I think what makes it so hard is the feeling of being helpless. Sometimes there is nothing that you can do or say to make a situation better. All you can do is be there if they need to talk. Sometimes I even wonder if that is enough.
People always say life is short, and normally we never really pay attention to those words.Life truly is short. I have learnt the importance of cherishing every moment that I have with people. I have learnt to give more of myself and to be more present in each and every moment. I am still learning and becoming a better person. The lesson that I have learnt so far is that life isn’t fair.There are some situations that happen and you don’t understand why. The only thing that you can do is make the best of every situation.The quote below pretty much sums up my new outlook on things.
“The most satisfying thing in life is to have been able to give a large part of one’s self to others.”- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin. I may not be able to change people’s situations but I can give a large part myself to them, and be that constant positive in their life.
I recently went to another birthday celebration. My friend Nompumelelo more commonly known as Mpumie was celebrating her birthday Everyone who knows Mpumie knows that she loves good food, and an awesome selfie. We went to Monte Casino in Fourways to celebrate her birthday.
Monte Casino is a place that gives you a feel of olden day architecture. From the cobbled streets, to the picturesque skyline and the buildings that have a Tuscan style. You literally get taken away to another place.Personally it just makes me want to go to Italy, and really get the full experience. We went out to dinner at Billy G’s where they made sure that we were seated in a nice spot, and that the birthday girl was happy.
Everyone looked good.The birthday girl sure did look stunning. Wearing a three piece ensemble that was paired with a tiara. We all made sure that we looked good because Mpumie is not called the selfie queen for nothing. We took tons of pictures throughout the evening to help us capture the moment.
It was an extremely beautiful moment filled with loads of love, laughter and happiness. Of course there was a lot of delicious food and cake. No dinner or celebration is ever complete without loads of food. To the birthday girl I hope you had a beautiful evening, and cheers to many more to come.
The birthday girl
Some of the scenery
I recently went out for dinner with some of my friends to celebrate my 21st birthday. I was really looking forward to spending my day with people that I care about. Birthdays for me are an opportunity to get everyone that I care about in the same room. An opportunity to create priceless memories in a very unpredictable world. They give me a moment for me to be thankful for all the blessings that I have in my life, and silently thank God for the friends that he has blessed me with.
We went to one of my favourite restaurants that I recently wrote about Piza E vino. The atmosphere there is always welcoming and we got to sit in one of the rooms that I have been dying to try out. It has a beautiful huge book-case filled with books, and bottles of wine.I love reading so for me that was a wonderful sight. If I had more time I would spent more time exploring the book case and the books that it contained.
The highlight of my evening was looking up, and seeing everyone enjoying themselves. In as much as the dinner was for my birthday it was very heart warming seeing everyone enjoying themselves. Thank you to everyone who came. You made my birthday extra special 🙂
I recently had a pyjama movie night with my friends and the other girls from my residence in Rosebank. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would be wearing my pyjama’s outside. It was new experience that turned out to be a wonderful adventure. When we arrived in Rosebank no one wanted to go outside first. People were literally staring at the large group of girls walking around in their sleepwear. Everyone eventually got used to all the eyes and just carried on as normal. Walking around in sleepwear became our new normal. I decided that it was a new experience that I was going to embrace. Our first stop was Starbucks where we all got different drinks. I decided to get a frappuccino which I thoroughly enjoyed. After our stop at Starbucks it was time for our movie. There is honestly nothing better than watching a movie in your pyjama’s. You are literally so comfortable, and not being squeezed to death by your jeans. All in all I had a memorable night. Would I do it again? Probably not but this one for the bucket list.
I recently turned 21 so I thought I would write a post about 21 things that have learned. I’m still learning and growing so this list is based on things that I think are relevant to my current situation today.
- God: Put God first in all that you do.
- Love yourself: Remember that you are fearfully and wonderfully made. There is no one else like you so stop trying to become someone else. Take time to take care of yourself.
- Stop worrying about what other people think of you:The sad truth is that people will hate you for no reason. Therefore it is pointless worrying about what they think of you. It is much better to value the opinion of people who genuinely care about you. People who want the best for you.
- Constructive Criticism: I think constructive criticism is a good thing. The purpose of constructive criticism is to make you a better person. We never want to hear it but sometimes we need to.
- Family: Make sure that you spend time with your family. Do not take them for granted. Family can be annoying sometimes but they always have your back.
- Friends: Surround yourself with friends who truly care about you. There is nothing wrong with re-evaluating friendships. Remember that some friends are there for a season, and some for a lifetime.
- Love: Be open to love. Let it happen when it is supposed to happen. “God will bring the right person into your life at the right time. Always believe that! If they are not there, God isn’t finished yet!”
― Shannon L. Alder
- Be present: Try to be present in each and every moment. Sometimes we miss out on the beauty of life because we are so busy worrying about what tomorrow holds.
- Travel: Travelling opens up our eyes to so many different things. It broadens your horizons, and makes you see the world in a different light.
- Time management: I won’t lie I am one of those people who tend to procrastinate sometimes. However, time management is very important. Planning your day and actually doing what you had planned to do is great. It just gives you a sense of achievement, and it reduces your stress because you do things ahead of time.
- Stop trying to change people: Honestly only God can change a person. You will only give yourself a headache trying to do something that you cannot. Let go and let God.
- Have fun: Never take yourself too seriously. Make sure that you have fun, and do something silly once in a while.
- Try something new: Challenge yourself to do something new once in a while. You don’t want to regret never trying out or doing things that you have always wanted.
- Read: I always loved reading from a young age. Reading just makes me happy. One of my favorite authors as a child was Roald Dahl. I have such fond memories of reading books like Matilda and The BFG.
- Reflect: Take time to reflect on your life and what you are grateful for. We tend to take so many things for granted. How many of us actually take time to appreciate all the things that we have.
- Don’t settle: Never settle for second best. You deserve the best. Work hard for your dreams. Don’t settle. No matter how hard things get keep on moving forward.
- Be open to learning: We are surrounded with so much knowledge.Be open to learning from other people, and picking their brains about issues that you see around you.
- It’s okay to be alone: Sometimes you just need to get away from everything, and be by yourself.
- Financial Management: How you manage your money is important. Always have a budget and make sure that you follow it.
- Fear: Do not let fear hold you back. Sometimes we let fear get the better of us. Doing something new that is out of your comfort zone is scary. However, that scary experience could be your most rewarding experience.
- Think about others: Sometimes we tend to get self-centered. We need to take time to think about other people, and what they are going through.
Life is about living. Living means to go out there and experience new things. I think the following quote sums about my thoughts about what life is about.“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt
I recently decided to heed the wise words of Eleanor Roosevelt and reach out eagerly for a newer and richer experience. My friend Neo and I decided to go have dinner at this place called PiZa E Vino. It was love at first sight for me. The decor on the outside caught my attention from the moment I laid eyes on it. Nothing could have prepared me for the inside. I found myself wanting to take pictures of every inch of the space.The decor,layout and people were very inviting. I felt right at home with the cozy fire warming me thanks to the cold Johannesburg weather.
The most precious moments are those moments that money cannot buy. Those moments you spend with people who mean a lot to you. People who are also reaching out eagerly for all that life has to offer.