I recently turned 22 and at the time I thought I would write about 22 things that I have learnt at the age of 22. Well as I sat down to write this blog post things didn’t go as planned. I decided to write about the biggest lessons that I have learnt in my 22 years of life. The most major thing that I am coming to terms with is the fact that you cannot control certain things that happen in life. I remember that I would dream about where I would be at 22 and the things that I would have accomplished when I was still in my teenage years. Needless to say I am far from achieving certain goals, and closer to some.
I have learnt that I need to let go of the things that I cannot control. This hasn’t been easy but the process of letting go has given me more peace than I could have ever imagined. Another part that is connected to letting go is not caring about the opinions of other people. We all go through different struggles in life that are most probably only known by the people close to us. The opinions of those people who are close to you should be the only one that matter. Surround yourself with people who are genuinely for you. People who want to see you become a better version of yourself, and succeed in whatever endeavors that you undertake.
Be your biggest cheerleader. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Always aim to be a better version of yourself, and let go of the things that you cannot control.
Do you ever take a moment to just pause? Taking a moment out of your busy schedule to just appreciate the beautiful scenery around you or just to appreciate your friends and family. There is nothing more important than having a grateful heart. A heart that is thankful for what it has, and the journey called life. I am grateful for time that I had to pause, and rediscover my love for writing.
Thank you to everyone who takes time to read my blog. I am truly grateful for all of you. I took time to pause and reflect but now I’m back with new ideas and content.
My friends and I recently decided to go out. We decided to go and get some lunch at a place that we like going to. We met up a few minutes before we were suppose to leave and boy did we get the shock of our lives. We were all wearing skirts. I don’t know why were so shocked because this happens most of the time. We always end up wearing similar outfits or have a common theme going on.The cool thing is that even though we were all wearing skirts we all styled them differently. It is always interesting to see how people style different outfits based on their own sense of style or what makes them comfortable.
One thing that I have learnt is that you have to be your own person. You have to embrace your own sense of style, and always do you. You have to have your own identity and feel free to express yourself. Gianni Versace once said, “Don’t be into trends. Don’t make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way you live.”
“Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak.” — Rachel Zoe
Your friend or family member has a birthday coming up, and you just have no idea as to what to do or get them. My friends and I were in such a predicament not to long ago. One of my friend’s had her birthday coming up, and luckily for us she knew what she wanted to do for her big day. We just had to figure out what to get her.
She also made that easy yet very difficult when she said she wanted a sentimental gift. My first thought after she said that was how in the world are we going to find a sentimental gift. I had the idea to actually get her a bunch of small gifts consisting of things that she likes or things that remind us of her. Luckily while we were still contemplating that we thought of the perfect sentimental gift that we could get her.
Through this whole process I realized that sometimes we make things more complicated than what they have to be. Sometimes people just want to spend their big days with people that they care about. Don’t make things more difficult than what they have to be. Think about your friend, and come up with ideas about what they would like. At the end of the day it is the thought that counts.
For my friend Neo we went out to do something outdoors, and we went out for dinner. We decided to go out for a walk early in the morning in a place that has awesome views. Unfortunately that day was very windy so it make our walk a bit uncomfortable but it was nothing that we couldn’t handle. It was such a fun experience. We took so many pictures, shared laughs and smiles. It made my heart happy to see Neo happy on her birthday. After our walk we had to get ready for dinner.
Getting ready for dinner was loads of fun. Everyone got dressed up and we had a mini photo-shoot outside before we left. Here are some images from Neo’s birthday. Hope you get some inspiration to start enjoying celebrating your loved ones big days. Remember all that counts is the effort that you put in to make their day special, and make them feel loved.
I recently started a series called beauty on a budget and I thought I would write about what beauty is to me. We all have different definitions of what beauty is based on the way that we were raised and the society that we live in. Some people think that beauty is only about how you look on the outside. Personally I think beauty starts from the inside and then radiates on the outside. Your self-worth and how you view yourself is very important.
Your self-worth determines how you treat yourself. If you value yourself you will make sure that you take care of yourself. You will only pay attention to the opinion of people who actually matter in your life. You will surround yourself with people who only want the best for you. People who will help you discover what the true meaning of beauty is. The true meaning being having a beautiful soul. Being someone who only wants the best for everyone. Someone who isn’t malicious but who see’s the value in spreading love and light wherever they go.
The most beautiful people are those who want to make a difference. People who work hard to inspire others. Always remember that you are one of a kind!! Let other people remember you for the wonderful deeds that you have done. Let them remember you for the difference that you made, and the goodness that emanated from your soul. Yes people remember a pretty face but they never forget a beautiful soul.
I found a quote that sums up my views on what beauty is and the essence of it.”The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mode but the true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives the passion that she shows. The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.”-Audrey Hepburn
This year I thought I would do something different and start a series called beauty on a budget.We all know the struggle of having to budget to make sure that we don’t spend beyond our means. Therefore the series is aimed at finding affordable beauty brands. I for one love nail polish. I love being able to wear different shades depending on my mood, and the current season.
One of my favorite nail polish is from Essence. They honestly have affordable nail polish that comes in a variety of shades. They have nude, pastel and metallic colors just to name a few. Hence they cater for a variety of people.
I for one hate having to wait for ages for nail polish to dry only for it to start chipping within hours. My experience with this nail polish has left me happy as it dries quickly and chips only after a couple of days whenever I use it.
Feel free to suggest some of your affordable nail polishes or any other products that you would like me to try.
As the year comes to an end I thought I would write about the 16 things that I learnt this year. 2016 has been a year of learning, growth and maturity.
1. No matter how bleak things look never give up: Everything always works out in the end. Sometimes we are faced with situations that are really bleak. Situations that never look like they are going to get better. Well they will get better all you have to do is hang in there.
2. Work hard towards your goals: Whatever your goal is make sure that you put in a lot of effort towards that goal. The only way you are going to achieve your goal is through hard work, effort and determination.
3. Take care of yourself: Take time to take care of yourself emotionally, physically and mentally. You can only be at your best if you take time to look after yourself.
4. Always have a budget: It is so easy to spend your money, and then wonder where it all went. The best way to prevent that is to always have a budget. Once you have a budget you have to make sure that you stick to it, and do not make impulsive purchases.
5. Learn from your mistakes: Learn from the mistakes that you made this year. We all make mistakes. The best thing that you can do is learn from, leave them in past and not make the same mistake again.
6. Letting go: Sometimes you just have to let go of things. Some people are only meant to be in your life for a season. Letting go isn’t always easy but you have to put yourself first, and do what is best for you.
7. Always be honest with yourself: Never lie to yourself. Always make time for self-introspection in order to see whether you are headed in the direction that you want to be headed in.
8. Surround yourself with good friends: Good friends are a must. Surround yourself with people who have the same vision as you. People who are headed in the same direction as you. People who have the same values as you.
9. Make your own decisions:Always make our own decisions. In as much as we get advice from friends and family you have to make your own decisions. Be your own person, and make your own choices after considering the advice you have been given. People may not understand the choices that you make but sometimes they aren’t meant to.
10. Everyone is not going to like you: It is everyone that you come across who is going to like you. There is nothing that you can about that nor should you try to change that. Just carry on being yourself. The people who are truly meant to be in your life are the ones who will know the real you, and love you just the way you are.
11. Have fun: Enjoy life, and have fun. Spend your time with people who make you happy. Go out exploring and just live life.
12. Believe in yourself:Believe that you can do whatever it is that you want to do. Don’t give up because of self-doubt. You can do.
13. Do not take other people for granted: Spend time with people who you care about. Make sure that they know that you care.
14. Never give: Keep on moving forward.
15. Be honest: Telling the truth isn’t always easy. However, being honest from the beginning is better than having to tell lies to cover up from that small little lie.
16. Don’t let fear hold you back: Doing new things or even meeting new people can be scary. Do not let fear hold you back from doing whatever it is that you want to do. It will be worth it in the end.