I am still a university student so I had the idea to write a guide about surviving university. Since I am still studying my guide is going to change as the years go by. This particular guide is based on my own personal experience this year.
- Be honest with yourself: Being honest with yourself is the best thing that you can do. Sometimes things do not go the way you expected and being in denial won’t help. A friend of mine made the brave decision to change her course in our first year when she was honest with herself, and realized that she wasn’t enjoying her course. It wasn’t an easy decision to make because she didn’t want to disappoint anyone. At the end of the day it is her future that she is working towards. She ended up changing courses, and she couldn’t be happier. Therefore being honest with yourself and the people who you care about is important.
- Time management: Time management is very important. Planning ahead and having a schedule saves a lot of time and makes you more organized. It helps you prioritize and get your work done before your deadlines. I’m still working on my own time management skills.
- Support System: Surround yourself with a good support system. Having people who have the same vision as you is important.You will all work towards the same goal and support each other when time gets rough.
- Procrastination: Procrastination is a huge problem!! Make sure that you do not procrastinate. Having proper time management will help you not to procrastinate as you know what to do and when to do it. I won’t lie procrastination is still a problem for me but I am trying my best to rectify that problem.
- Have fun: Make sure that you also balance out your studies by having fun. As the way all work and no play makes Tom a dull boy.
These are just five tips that I thought were important at this particular point in time. Remember to never give up on your dreams. Everyone’s journey is different therefore embrace your journey. It may take you longer than other people to get to where you are going but that is okay. Your is journey is your own. It may lead you to uncharted waters but that is the beauty of the journey. These uncharted waters may lead you to places that you never imagined.
Keep on working hard towards your dreams. Never give up or let anyone tell you that you can’t do it. Reach for the stars.
Lots of love,