I recently turned 21 so I thought I would write a post about 21 things that have learned. I’m still learning and growing so this list is based on things that I think are relevant to my current situation today.
- God: Put God first in all that you do.
- Love yourself: Remember that you are fearfully and wonderfully made. There is no one else like you so stop trying to become someone else. Take time to take care of yourself.
- Stop worrying about what other people think of you:The sad truth is that people will hate you for no reason. Therefore it is pointless worrying about what they think of you. It is much better to value the opinion of people who genuinely care about you. People who want the best for you.
- Constructive Criticism: I think constructive criticism is a good thing. The purpose of constructive criticism is to make you a better person. We never want to hear it but sometimes we need to.
- Family: Make sure that you spend time with your family. Do not take them for granted. Family can be annoying sometimes but they always have your back.
- Friends: Surround yourself with friends who truly care about you. There is nothing wrong with re-evaluating friendships. Remember that some friends are there for a season, and some for a lifetime.
- Love: Be open to love. Let it happen when it is supposed to happen. “God will bring the right person into your life at the right time. Always believe that! If they are not there, God isn’t finished yet!”
― Shannon L. Alder
- Be present: Try to be present in each and every moment. Sometimes we miss out on the beauty of life because we are so busy worrying about what tomorrow holds.
- Travel: Travelling opens up our eyes to so many different things. It broadens your horizons, and makes you see the world in a different light.
- Time management: I won’t lie I am one of those people who tend to procrastinate sometimes. However, time management is very important. Planning your day and actually doing what you had planned to do is great. It just gives you a sense of achievement, and it reduces your stress because you do things ahead of time.
- Stop trying to change people: Honestly only God can change a person. You will only give yourself a headache trying to do something that you cannot. Let go and let God.
- Have fun: Never take yourself too seriously. Make sure that you have fun, and do something silly once in a while.
- Try something new: Challenge yourself to do something new once in a while. You don’t want to regret never trying out or doing things that you have always wanted.
- Read: I always loved reading from a young age. Reading just makes me happy. One of my favorite authors as a child was Roald Dahl. I have such fond memories of reading books like Matilda and The BFG.
- Reflect: Take time to reflect on your life and what you are grateful for. We tend to take so many things for granted. How many of us actually take time to appreciate all the things that we have.
- Don’t settle: Never settle for second best. You deserve the best. Work hard for your dreams. Don’t settle. No matter how hard things get keep on moving forward.
- Be open to learning: We are surrounded with so much knowledge.Be open to learning from other people, and picking their brains about issues that you see around you.
- It’s okay to be alone: Sometimes you just need to get away from everything, and be by yourself.
- Financial Management: How you manage your money is important. Always have a budget and make sure that you follow it.
- Fear: Do not let fear hold you back. Sometimes we let fear get the better of us. Doing something new that is out of your comfort zone is scary. However, that scary experience could be your most rewarding experience.
- Think about others: Sometimes we tend to get self-centered. We need to take time to think about other people, and what they are going through.